Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Breaking News from the Volleyball World

I got the most amazing news today! My beautiful, talented sister was asked to play on the NAU volleyball team as a walk-on middle! Her club team--the Eastside Spikers--just played in the Fiesta Tournament at ASU. 

(And they were creamed, by the way. Fourteen games and didn't win a single one :( A caveat, though: their team is mostly 16-year-olds competing in the 18's league. Inexperience and sloppy reflexes cost you when you're playing against well-oiled Amazons.)

Anyways, a scout from NAU was there, checking out my sister. Wait. I mean... Well, you all know what I mean...:)

He taped her as she warmed up, watched her pound the ball on the ten foot line, and kept taking out his stylus and Blackberry. Of course, as a spectator to the courageous battle against volleyball dismemberment, it did cross my mind that no matter how good each player was individually, nobody showed to the best advantage on a team that was still learning to trust and compete. So when Karis called this afternoon to tell me she had received an offer to train with the team freshman year, it was a gleeful surprise. 

I can't wait to watch her become an awesome volleyball player. Not that I don't think her awesome now (and trust me, I never let bias into my opinions), but I can't wait to see how good college coaching and weight regimens will make her. On second thought, I won't be able to beat her up anymore. I keep seeing visions of a ripped Karis sauntering into the room, tearing the cheesecake out of the feeble hands of a flabby Kaylee.

Oh well. I guess we all have to make sacrifices for the team. Or...maybe...I could start working out so I would be better able to defend my right to the pursuit of dessert happiness. Now how's THAT for motivation!

 



3 comments:

Karis said...

I must say that was a well-written piece. maybe being an english major isn't such a bad thing. I'm so happy you're proud of me but one thing... i can ALREADY beat you up and you know it. haha but yes, i'll be way buffer once i hit the weight room. love you!

rustypth said...

congrats to Karis! I was so happy to learn that there was a scout ... scouting ... her =)

rustypth said...

oh and KR: welcome to the blogosphere =)

*hat tip*